Today my poor little Rowdy had a bad day. For the last week and a half or so I’ve been letting Rowdy and Buddy graze on the lawn because our mower is broken and I have a hay field in my front yard! (not to mention I hate mowing grass). Well for the entire time that they’ve been out there, our yard cart has been sitting in the same exact spot. Today I spent the majority of the day in the barn cleaning and reorganizing things, I was sitting in the barn messing with one of the gate latches and the kids were playing as usual. I heard this “funny” noise but didn’t think much of it until one of the kids came running, SCREAMING “MOM ROWDY YOU HAVE TO COME” So I go running, thinking that he got out or something. I’m not sure what happened, but he ran into the edge of the garden cart hard enough to move the damn thing!!!
At first glance I was thinking it was just a scrape….and then I got closer! The edge of the cart actually skun a section of his side. When I tried to lift the skin to see how bad it was, there was a hole in the “meat” – YIKES!! I yelled for Vince and grabbed his halter. He didn’t want to move at first, and then followed me like the good kid he is. I put him on the cross ties and Vince stood with him while I made a mad dash for the house to get the vets number – I MUST remember to program it into my cell phone!!
Here is what it looked like before the vet visit.
The vet got here about an hour and a half after I called and took a look. Rowdy was being a bit of a twirp and Dr T decided that he was named appropriately. She sedated him and got started cleaning it out. She was a bit worried about a hole thru the actual chest cavity, fortunately it doesn’t look like that is the case so she finished cleaning it up and got busy stitching. She feels that he will heal with little to no trouble. She gave me instructions on drainage and what to look for as far as problems go, and left me with antibiotics.

2 comments:
I don't think he's sorry, he's kind of rotten that way!
Poor Rowdster, hope he heals quickly! Please stop by my blog to pick up your Honest Scrap Award: http://rockymountainyankee.blogspot.com/2009/06/honest-scrap-award.html
Post a Comment