Saturday, February 28, 2009

First Impressions

Earlier this week, I was driving home from Bangor, I was on Rt 15 in Orrington and on the side of the road was an oil truck. Not surprising since it IS Maine and we seem to have a never ending of snow and cold this winter. The part that surprised me is the color of the truck. At first glance it was a HIDEOUS pink color, like Pepto Bismal pink. I was thinking, "wow! must be a newer company just using whatever truck they can get their hands on", next came "I'd be embarassed to drive that truck". As I got closer, I realized it was a brand new truck, which made me think "what were they thinking??" As I got next to the truck I realized how mistaken I was. This truck is a Webber Energy truck, and across the side is a message about Breast Cancer Awareness. I felt foolish for ridiculing this truck and all of a sudden it was no longer a horrid looking thing, it touched me that this company bought a brand new truck in this color scheme simply to bring more awareness to a topic that every person should be aware of and support - Breast Cancer.

This also made me think back to a conversation I recently had. I am in no way shape or form a girly girl. I have always "hated" pink, give me jeans and a tshirt in navyblue/black and I'm a happy girl. About a year and a half or so ago, I started being drawn more to pink things - the first being a pink ball cap that says ARMY across it. I made Vince buy it and he seriously wanted to know what was wrong with me. I couldn't put my finger on it, but then in a recent conversation I realized just where this had come from - laugh if you want, but in 2006 Wrangler ran the "Are you tough enough to wear pink?" - it was the theme for the 06 NFR. I guess my line of thinking is, if all of these cowboys/tough guys can wear pink then SO CAN I! It is for a good cause right?? Go ahead and laugh. I know I did when I realized why all of a sudden I felt it "ok" for me to wear pink!!

0 comments: